Dr. BBQ grew up in Chicago and after high school spent 25 years in the family trucking business. In 2000 the trucking business had run it’s course, and it was time for Ray to do something different. He had been participating in BBQ cookoffs as a hobby since 1982, so he decided to take a leap and try to turn his hobby into a career. In 2000 Dr. BBQ moved to Lakeland, Florida and began his career as a BBQ man.
Ray has written four cookbooks and is currently working on a fifth. The first four are:
• “Dr. BBQ’s Big-Time Barbecue Cook”
• “Dr. BBQ’s Barbecue All Year Long”
• “Dr. BBQ’s Big Time Barbecue Road Trip”
• “The NFL Game Day Cookbook”, due out in April 2008 and published by Chronicle Books.
Some of the things this BBQ man does:
• He’s the Executive Chef at Southern Hospitality, a New York BBQ restaurant.
• He’s one of the featured BBQ Chefs at The Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia.
• He travels the country as the Spokeschef for The Big Green Egg Grill and Smoker Company.
• He teaches BBQ cooking classes all around the country.
• He writes the “Ask Dr. BBQ Column” for Fiery Foods & BBQ Magazine.
• He’s been a guest chef at the Twin Cities Food and Wine Festival, • He’s been the guest chef for a winemaker’s dinner at The Florida Winefest.
• He’s been a guest chef at the Woodford Reserve Distillery.
Dr. BBQ has been featured in:
• Life Magazine
• Maxim Magazine
• Food & Wine Magazine
• People Magazine
• Chile Pepper Magazine
• Men’s Journal Magazine
• USA Today
• The Atlanta Journal Constitution
• The Wall Street Journal
• The Tampa Tribune
• The Chicago Tribune
Dr. BBQ has appeared on:
• Food TV
• The Outdoor Life Network
• Daytime Tampa Bay
• WGN Radio with Spike O’Dell
• The Discovery channel
• Good Morning Texas
• Mancow’s Morning Madhouse
• Many local TV and radio shows around the country
Ray Lampe has been cooking in BBQ contests for 25 years and has won hundreds of awards. He’s still a very active contest cook and in 2005 he won the Grill Kings New York State BBQ Championship. Ray’s travels took him to 32 states and Canada last year. Dr. BBQ’s website can be found at www.drbbq.com.